Thursday, September 26, 2013

Around the Town Thursday: St. Oswald's Anglican Heritage Church

I started my Around the Town Thursday posts with the intention of highlighting all the wonderful things to see and do in Kansas City.  I knew eventually I'd like to expand from just the Kansas City area but I honestly didn't expect it to be this soon.  Having been sent to Langley, BC (Canada) for a work meeting has given me the opportunity to jump into my Around the Town expansion now!  Unfortunately it also caused me to miss last week's Around the Town Thursday post so I'm going to give you a double dose this week!

For those who don't know where Langley, BC is located here's a map:


View Larger Map

Langley is a city of approximately 25,000 people.  Their city website boasts: "With its rich history, wonderful sense of community, lush offerings of nature, and proximity to Vancouver, Langley is the best kept secret in the Lower Mainland."  I had the opportunity to view a little of the city during my two days there and I can say that it is a very beautiful area.  When I travel for work, I always try to stop and see one or two places in the area I travel to.  One of the places I had the opportunity to stop in at was St. Oswald's Anglican Heritage Church.  It's a quaint little church on the corner of a partially industrial area that has been in existence since 1911.  The church's history page says: "It is evocative of an English country church featuring late Mediaeval and Tudor elements."  The church is strikingly painted in white with beautiful bright green trim and is surrounded by four Douglas fir trees at the front of the church and a small church cemetery along the side and back of the church.

Plaque outside of St. Oswald's
Langley, BC, Canada
 
Plaque about St. Oswald's and its community
Langley, BC, Canada

St. Oswald's Anglican Church
Langley, BC, Canada

The church wasn't open for viewing (it's still an active congregation), but I was able to walk around the outside and peek thru the windows.
 
Inside of St. Oswald's Anglican Church
Langley, BC, Canada

The church had both a surrounding cemetery and a memorial garden.  I took some time and walked through the cemetery and memorial garden.

St. Oswald's Cemetery
Langley, BC, Canada
 
St. Oswald's Memorial Garden
Langley, BC, Canada

While walking through it occurred to me that St. Oswald's cemetery might not yet be on Find A Grave.  I was on a limited break from the meeting I was attending so I quickly started at the beginning of the memorial garden and worked my way thru the cemetery taking pictures of each grave.  I managed to get pictures of the entire cemetery before I had to go back to my meeting.  I didn't have a chance to look up the cemetery on Find A Grave until I returned back home.  And I am so glad I was able to get pictures of the cemetery because when I looked it up on Find A Grave I found the cemetery internments had been submitted to Find A Grave, but there were no pictures.  In the next few weeks I plan to submit the pictures I took to the St. Oswald's Find A Grave site.

If you ever have the opportunity to go to Langley, take a moment and stop by St. Oswald's; sit in the memorial garden and relax for a bit and let the world pass you by.  It's well worth the time spent.