Saturday, September 7, 2013

Liebster Award!

I usually take the weekend off from actually posting any new blog posts to do my research for the next set of posts I want to write.  It's time off from the blog but not really.  But I didn't want to let this one sit around very long because, well darn it, I'm just so stinkin' excited!  My blog has been nominated for a Liebster Award.


I was curious about the Liebster so I started doing some research on it (because I'm not really happy unless I know a little more, LOL).  There doesn't seem to be any definite information on when the Liebster Award first started, although Sopphey Says's blog has a really well researched post about it.  The award is geared toward blogs with a small following but I'm not going to consider that a bad thing.  It just means it's given to "up and coming" blogs.

So anyway, it's just exciting to be nominated (no really!) and I want to say a big THANK YOU to the blog writer who nominated me KristenK from Run Away With Me.  Keep up the good work on your blog (and running!) Kristen!!!!

Now there are rules associated with this award and here they are:

1. Thank the person that nominated you and link back to his/her blog.
2. Answer the 10 questions which are given to you by the nominator.
3. Nominate 10 other bloggers for the award who have less than 200 followers.
4. Create 10 questions for your nominees to answer.
5. Let the nominees know they have been nominated by going to their blog and notifying them.

Since I already took care of #1 we'll move on to #2, the 10 questions:

1. How long have you been blogging?  Has your blog changed a lot since then?
  • I've been blogging for almost two months.  At this point I don't think I've been blogging long enough for my blog to have changed much so the answer to that would be no.
2. What is your favorite book?
  • Without a doubt it's a throwback to my childhood favorite: The Black Stallion by Walter Farley.  It's a fantastic book and I'm not ashamed to say I still go back and read it to this day.
3. If you could eat any one item of junk food and NOT have the calories/bad stuff count, what would you choose?
  • Oooo, that's a toughie!  Probaby s'mores.  I love s'mores and just can't get enough of them!
4. What's the coolest thing you have ever done in your life.
  • This is definitely a toss up between the trip I took to Alaska, going to Tikal in Guatemala and getting engaged on the bioluminescent bay in Vieques, Puerto Rico.
5. What do you do to get new readers to follow your blog?
  • Well it was probably premature but when I do something I don't do it halfway so when I started my blog I also started a FaceBook page and a Twitter account for my blog.  I also signed onto a group of similar blogs and the administrator of that group is a fantastic administrator and does his best to make sure new blogs get some publicity.  I utilize my social media presence by posting whenever I post a new blog post or whenever I see something that I think my followers might find interesting.
6. Who is your personal hero?
  • I actually have a couple.  The first is my father.  I always liken him to an oak tree, standing strong through whatever might come but able to bend when the wind blew strong.  The second is my maternal grandfather, who was smart, kind and patient.  I wish more people were like my grandfather, this world would be a better place.
7. What is your favorite blog post that you've ever written?
  • That would have to be my blog post titled An interesting find, a post about finding a ritual book from a fraternal organization called The Grange at an estate sale.
8. Where is your favorite spot to work out?
  • I actually really hate to work out, LOL so the only place I work out right now is Curves.  Guess Curves wins out as my favorite spot!
9. How did you come up with the name for your blog?
  • My father was an electronic engineer who fixed televisions, radios and other electronic items.  Because of this, when he was involved in Boy Scouts with my brother, he became known as Man Who Fixes Talking Boxes.  Thus was born the name Talking Box Genealogy.  It's only fitting to give a nod to someone who was so important in my life and it's also my way of giving him a playful tweak back for all the times he claimed to have no ancestors and was born in a cabbage patch.
10. What is your favorite guilty pleasure TV show?
  • Oh I love "Charmed".  Yep, total guilty pleasure.

And here are my 10 nomination choices:
And last but not least, here are my questions for my Liebster nominees:
  1. How long have you been blogging?  Why did you decide to start blogging?
  2. If you could go anywhere, do anything, have any experience or meet anyone from any time period, what would you choose to do?  Why?
  3. What is your favorite thing about blogging?
  4. What is your favorite game to play?
  5. What is your favorite piece of technology?
  6. What is your favorite website, computer program or tool, or app?
  7. As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
  8. Doctor Who, Captain Kirk and Hans Solo all send you invitations to take a trip with them, anywhere you want but you can only choose one person to go with.  Who do you choose and where would you go?
  9. If you were stranded on a desert island what would be one thing you absolutely could not live without?
  10. What is  your favorite movie?
Well, that's it.  I had fun answering KristenK's questions, thank you so much for nominating me!  I hope everyone takes some time to check out the blogs I nominated, they're worth following!