Thursday, September 26, 2013

Around the Town Thursday: The Seattle Space Needle

As promised, here's the bonus Around the Town Thursday post!  Instead of flying into Canada directly for my work trip I opted to fly into Seattle, Washington and take a drive up the coast into Canada.  I'm so glad I did too.  First, because I got to see some fantastic sites.  Second, because I remembered (as the plane was touching down in Seattle) that my dad used to live somewhere near Seattle (Tacoma to be exact) and I decided to make the trip somewhat of a "pilgrimage" and see the city my dad spoke so highly of.  But that's a story for another time.

While in Seattle I decided to stop in and see the famed Space Needle of Seattle.  A friend told me there was a restaurant in the Space Needle and that eating at that restaurant was the best way to experience the Needle.  So I made a reservation at SkyCity Restaurant and made a night of it at the Space Needle.

Seattle Space Needle at night

The food at SkyCity was good.  It's an expensive place to eat but the view is absolutely awesome!  If you don't want to pay the menu prices you can also pay to go to the observation deck.  If I hadn't eaten there I definitely would have paid to go to the observation deck.  The view from the deck is almost as good as the view from the restaurant.

View of downtown Seattle from the Space Needle Observation Deck

View of the city and bay from the observation deck

I'm not the greatest night photographer, but the view from the
observation deck is gorgeous at night too!

Hello from SkyCity in the Seattle Space Needle!

This is definitely a must see sight if you go to Seattle.  Entree prices at the restaurant start at around $50 and go up from there.  There are appetizers and some fantastic desserts so you could just opt to have one of those items, which are somewhat cheaper.

The other option is to pay the fee to see just the observation deck.  Ticket prices were $19 when I went in September (ticket prices can be found here) so really a better option is to make a reservation at the restaurant and have appetizers or dessert and enjoy the observation deck along with your food (and the rotating restaurant as well).  Although, if you're going to be in Seattle for a few days your best option is to buy a Seattle CityPASS, which gets you admission to six different popular Seattle attractions (the Space Needle among them).

I enjoyed my visit to the Space Needle and if you get a chance, you should definitely head for the top!