Thursday, August 22, 2013

Around the Town Thursday: Town Topic Hamburgers

I love Around the Town Thursday.  I love being able to highlight really cool places, especially if they're located in my hometown of Kansas City.  One of those really cool places is a fantastic little diner (or diners since there's more than one) located in downtown Kansas City, Missouri.

Town Topic Hamburgers has been featured on Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations and several times in the Kansas City Star.  They've won a number of awards; the complete list can be seen here.

Original Town Topic Hamburgers
Downtown Kansas City, Missouri

Town Topic Hamburgers #2
Downtown Kansas City, Missouri
Originally opened in 1937, Town Topic began by selling hamburgers for just a nickel a piece.  You can read more about the history of Town Topic here.  Town Topic's menu has pretty much stayed the same since they opened.  They still serve the same breakfast choices and still cook their burgers the same way as they did in 1937.  They have a strong local following and they encourage you to stop in and visit with some of their regular customers.

D1 introduced me to Town Topic a year or so ago.  I can't believe I've lived in this town my whole life and not stopped in there before D1 took me.  So many years of good food lost, oh the humanity!  My personal favorite is definitely their milk shakes.  Whether you live here or are just visiting you'll want to make sure and make time to stop in at one of their three locations, two in downtown Kansas City, Missouri and one in Mission, Kansas.