Friday, January 31, 2014

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks: Earl Leslie Nickell



I’m a little behind on the 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks challenge but I’m going to jump in with ancestor #1 and play catch up.  This week I'm highlighting my husband's maternal grandfather.

Some basic facts:
Name: Earl Leslie Nickell
Born: 24 July 1918
Parents: Delbert A. Nickell and Allie (Maiden Name Unknown) Nickell
Spouse: Shirley Bowlby
Marriage: Date Unknown
Died: November 1965

Earl was born 24 July 1918.  World War I was raging in Europe though, unknown to most of the world, it would end in a few months.  He was born to Delbert A. Nickell and Allie (Maiden Name Unknown) Nickell.  He married Shirley A. Bowlby sometime before 1943.  Earl and Shirley had children but in the interest of privacy I won’t list their information.

Earl lived most of his life in Kansas.  I believe he was born near Long Island, Phillips, Kansas because he’s listed on the 1920 census with his family at the age of one in Long Island, Phillips, Kansas.

1920 U.S. Census for Delbert Nickell and family

Earl served in the military during World War II.  His enlistment date is shown as 4 November 1943 and enlistment location was Denver, Colorado.  From his enlistment record on Ancestry.com I can see that he completed four years of high school and was skilled in woodworking occupations.

Earl died in November 1965.  He’s buried next to his wife, Shirley, in Resthaven Cemetery in Wichita, Sedgwick, Kansas.

Earl L. and Shirley A. Nickell Tombstone
Located in Resthaven Cemetery in
Wichita, Sedgwick, Kansas

I don’t have much more information than that on Earl.  Here’s my genealogy list for Earl:

Have:
  • 1930 U.S. Census 
  • 1920 U.S. Census
  • Listing from U.S. World War II Enlistment Records from Ancestry.com 
  • 1925 Kansas State Census
  • Find-A-Grave Listing 
  • 1940 U.S. Census
Need:
  • Birth Certificate 
  • Death Certificate
  • Marriage Certificate